Friday, July 3, 2015

PILGRIMAGE

Ever since my retirement from PrimeraTurf in 2011, my wife Christie and I have followed through on our plan to make one long trip each year for as long as we are capable to places we have not seen before. We have visited New Zealand, Alaska and the National Parks in Colorado and Utah.
This year we deviate a little from the plan in order to revisit  our cradle, The Netherlands. Our focus is going to be on catching up with family members and friends (before it is too late) but the inner desire is to find the few places in Holland where either nature or history commands our attention and respect.

In two places, Rotterdam and Axel, I will be discussing my book 'NEITHER HERE NOR THERE, A First Generation Immigrant in Search of American Exceptionalism'.

We will spend a short week with Christie's siblings on the barrier island of Vlieland on the Northern coast of Holland, where cars are banned and I hope to find the solitude and equanimity that only remote and unspoiled nature can give.

I'll report regularly in this forum on my findings and impressions. Find out if I gained or lost by trading Holland for America.

Look for new postings starting July 7

No comments:

Post a Comment